Flight Log - L. Flint
Aviation and Aerospace
- AVIA 610 - Lock Haven University of PA
- My instructor, Freeman Dorr, oriented me to the aircraft
controls in a Piper PA-18 Super Cub. The Super Cub is a two place
(two seat) airplane where the instructor sits behind the student
pilot. Frankly, this plane is designed for short people since
it took me a few minutes to figure out how to squeeze into the
- We took off from the William T. Piper Memorial Airport [pictures] in Lock Haven, PA with Freeman
at the controls.
- Once we got headed toward Williamsport, he handed over the
controls and I got a good feel for flight controls while orienting
myself with the flight instruments.
- I flew us over Williamsport Area High School where I took
a number of pictures.
- The weather was beautiful and the flight lasted 1.0 hours
once we landed back in Lock Haven with Freeman at the controls.
- This flight was in a Cessna 150 [pictures].
This plane is also a two place plane but the student and instructor
pilots sit side by side. This plane has many more controls and
instruments than the Super Cub and is capable of instrument flight.
- I oriented myself with the flight controls and instruments.
This time, Freeman had me start it up, taxi it out, take off,
and do the entire flight right up to the landing! I couldn't
believe that he allowed me to take off on only the second flight!
It was easier than I thought. Freeman landed us safely...
- This flight was in a Cessna 150. Th
- This flight was in a Cessna 150 and was my first cross country
attempt. We learned in class how to
- This flight was in the Cessna 150. Now I've got he hang of
- I took off, climbed, used VOR radio navigation to fly IFR
to the Selinsgrove VOR. Then I used pilotage to fly to Sunbury
where I picked up the . I then flew back to Lock Haven by following
the radio signal from WBPZ (1230 AM) on a radio. I needed a little
help on the landing but overall I did fairly well
- Once you figure out how to use radio navigation, it is ten
times easier to get around in the plane.
- We flew from Lock Haven to Selinsgrove where I got pictures
of my sister's alma mater, Susquehanna
University [pictures] and her favorite
city, Milton [pictures].
- Total flight time: 1.5 hours.